Amazon has released what they say is “a fix for many of the issues that lead to this error.” They are asking customers to update to the latest version of the FreeTime app (FreeTimeApp-fireos_v3.17_Build-1.0.210214.0.26452).
Per Amazon’s post, here are the instructions for updating:
Please follow these steps:
- Confirm that your device is connected to a wireless network.
- Connected devices have a Wi-Fi or 4G LTE icon with signal bars near the battery indicator.
- Sync your device.
- Swipe down from the top of the screen to open the quick actions menu and then tap the Settings (gear) icon. Tap Sync Device. Large files may take time to download.
If you want to ensure FreeTime updated to FreeTimeApp-fireos_v3.17_Build-1.0.210214.0.26452, go to:
Fire OS 5 Tablets (4th – 7th Generations):
- Settings > Apps & Games > Manage All Applications.
- Find the Downloaded tab (yellow bar), then swipe the entire screen to the right (see All tap).
- Scroll down until you find the FreeTime app. All apps are in alphabetical order.
Fire OS6 – Fire HD 8 – 8th Generation:
- Settings > Apps & Notifications > Manage All Applications.
- Scroll down to FreeTime app.
Amazon added several troubleshooting tips, according to the post on the Kindle device forums:
If the issue continues after updating,please follow the below troubleshooting steps:
- Reboot/restart the impacted Fire Tablet, then check if the issue is resolved.
- If the issues persists after a reboot, clear the application data for FreeTime.
Please note: Clearing the application data may delete customers content on customer’s FreeTime profiles.
Be aware that this fix may not work for all customers and additional improvement will be released in the next few weeks. [Emphasis added]
One person already posted on the forum that the update did not work for them.
The frustration level on this issue seems to be off the charts. Tech issues are aggravating enough, but the primary users of FreeTime are small children, who neither have the skills or the patience to deal with the issues. As a parent, seeing my kids repeatedly upset by this would make me extremely angry. Amazon needs to come up with a working fix for this, ASAP.